Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Oh the places you will play


You never know who you will meet and what it will lead to. Through an expat acquaintance at church, I was hired to play piano at the US Ambassador's 4th of July party here in Bishkek. It was quite fun to be background music for diplomats and military personnel as they shmoozed. At one point, the French delegation decided that the piano was the coolest place to hang out and there was excited dialog drowning out the Brahms. Maybe they have something against the German composer. I played some Ravel in their honor afterwards. Cara Denney was hired to sing the national anthem, hence the photo of me at the gig. A good time was had by all, and the only disappointment was the extreme amount of blue food coloring that they added to the decorative cake which turned all the guests' teeth and lips a frightening hue. Since I didn't eat till after the party, I was able to somewhat avoid the aggressive frosting. It did dye my fingers when I was putting the cake on my plate though. Conclusion: I now understand why people used to have cupbearers.

5 comments:

Olya Velichko said...

oh wow. this is too cool.
way to go tracy!

Unknown said...

You are so cool Tracy! Though I would've thought much higher of you had you shared a picture of you playing the piano, showing us you blue teeth!

mom/popfoote said...

You just never know...
We're proud of you and thank God He uses us in all places

The Doubs said...

Why didn't they ask me to come?

Marina said...

this is interesting! hope they ask you again, tracy. and let's hope for cake to be better next time ;)